Monday, February 11, 2008

2008 - Year of the Rat

Happy New Year

Took some time off from the blog. Last week, we celebrated the Chinese New Year, also known as the Lunar New Year. I found myself on a small adventure. After trekking for several hours, I captured a golden dragon, a white dragon, two red dragons, and a small orange one.

So, was I amongst the mists of an ancient Japanese castle? Did I travel to an uncharted island, north of Hokkaido in the Sea of Okhotsk via submarine? Were we on the trail of Emperor Ying Zheng’s tomb, searching for the First Sovereign Emperor of China's treasure of gold, gems, and silver? Not quite.

I was actually at the Lunar New Year Parade in Vancouver. It was really cool. Its great to see such diverse peoples come together to celebrate cultural events. When we recognize cultures, we begin to appreciate our differences, and develop understanding. This is the basis of archaeology and anthropological studies – wanting to learn more about past cultures, so we can understand and appreciate the contributions that we can all make towards advanced civilizations.

Of all the dragons, the little orange one is my favorite. The kids were really having a blast!

S/F,
- OWR

No comments: